Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Owen Robert Taylor

He is here!!! Owen Robert (Robert was my dad's name) was born yesterday at 3:38 pm weighing 8 lb. and is 20 in. (our littlest baby so far) with a small amount of LIGHT hair! Both Collin and Samantha started out with dark hair and slowly faded to their color now. It looks like Owen is starting out with the same light color- so time will tell if he will get even lighter?! (He has the same little cowlick(sp?) up front like Collin- which is one of my favorite things. It's not super noticeable right now because his hair is thinner towards his hairline.)




I checked in at 6 am- I was already contracting-so they let me go for awhile before they gave me anything to help things along. Just like with Samantha's delivery- they figured I would go pretty fast- and again just like Samantha's delivery it was a long day (only because we were expecting a quick delivery) Both Owen and Samantha were posterior- which makes it harder for them to make it out smoothly. By the time it was pushing time- my epidural was almost completely worn off. I felt so much more than ever before- and for that reason- I am BEYOND impressed with those who CHOOSE to go natural- atleast I didn't have to feel the contractions leading up to delivery! Owen was having a hard time coming out- and every time I pushed, his heart rate would go down, so my doctor decided to use the vacuum and just get him out. That did the trick!

As Mike was over with the nurse checking things out- he called over to me "Well he has 10 toes and 11 fingers" I laughed and said "funny." But he wasn't kidding- Owen has a sixth finger on his right hand. On his thumb he has a mini thumb (fingernail and all) coming out the side.-Polydactactyly can part of a syndrome-but not necessarily, it could just be a random thing. Our pediatrician checked him out and she said that Owens little addition is just one of those things that can happen- and which actually happens quite a bit. We will be referred to a orthopedic hand surgeon who will most likely take care of it within the next couple months. I figure that this is something that little boys will think is cool and he'll brag about it to his friends- and if nothing else- he'll always have something cool to say for the game 2 truths and a lie!


I get to go home today (a little early)- the doctors gave me the option- and I jumped at it. I'm not too big on being in the hospital, plus I really miss my 2 other scraggle muffins. It will be nice to have my mom and sister around to help out and momentarily fix my homesickness that I have, especially have during any emotional time. I am so grateful for the love and support of our family and friends during such a neat time.

I will post more pictures later- as well as our Christmas ones......

22 comments:

Jena said...

Hip hip hooray! I can't believe you have that little guy in your arms now. It must feel so good. I love the extra thumb! That is going to make for a cool story. My friend had an extra toe. She would always show off the scar when we were little. I hope that you had a great Christmas and I can't wait to see him.

Sara said...

I'm so happy he's here! He is adorable and you look fabulous! That must be weird to have the epidural wear off right at the pushing time. That's the hardest part in my opinion (ring of fire -- ouch).

That's the cutest little 6th finger I've ever seen! And I'm glad you get to go home early. I am sure I will miss my kids and be anxious to get home, too.

Bree said...

First he is darling I wish we could see him. It is sad it was so different with round one, maybe we will actually be together for round three(assuming we will all be on the same page, as if we know how to do it any different)

Second that little finger is crazy, I am sure you thought what the heck after Mike said it was not a joke. When I saw that picture I about died that is not what I was expecting it really is a little extra finger. I wish I had it so I could have always won that game, I never had anything cool to try and trick people with, until I was a junior and after that I could say I was my highschool mascot, I think I would go with the finger!:)

Maren said...

I'm so happy for you guys. I love the name and he looks so cute. You look great too. I can totally see you thinking Mike was joking, but I agree it is a cool story. Same thing happened to my uncle and he was forever the coolest uncle because of it. Enjoy having your family there! Good luck with three!

Joan said...

Congrats! Amberlee. He is adorable just like your other two kids. You also look great! Happy baby times.

SummerV said...

So cute! Congratulations! Mike's mom had that same thing when she was little...the extra finger and all. I am glad you guys are doing well. Three kids can you believe it????

Julianne Zollinger said...

Congrats! He is so cute! Addison is especially glad to have a new cousin so close!!

Melissa said...

Oh he's so cute! I hope everything is going well. I love the finger. Makes me think of Princess bride. :)

Amy Jenks said...

Congratulations!
He's so cute!!! You look absolutely AMAZING, Amberlee. I'm so glad he's here and you both are doing well. I love the extra thumb - so cute!

Katherine said...

Congratulations Amberlee! I'm so glad he's here. You look great and he is darling!

Tiffany said...

Congrats you guys! HE is so so handsome and you look great Amberlee!

Natalie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Kaydee and the boys said...

Oh, you're such a jerk! - how is that you look freaken amazing after an incident like that??? Really, you're gorgeous. Little Owen is such a cutie pie!! That's one of the names on OUR list!! Good taste.

Kaydee and the boys said...

Also, will you tell Jonathan and Bree I want in on their sweet blog?? Haylie told me they had their little girl and I so want to see her! Thanks! kaydeegehrke111@hotmail.com

The Wilkins' said...

Congratulations! He is adorable, and you look amazing! I hope you are recovering well, and enjoying that new baby... and the family in town.

Tasha said...

Congrats!! He is so cute, I'm a little jealous that you have a cute little cuddley (sp) newborn! I am so enjoying Haddie's stage right now, but I miss the newborn stage & I was cleaning her newborn clothes out of the closet today & it made me sad! I wish I could see him in person! Maybe this summer I'll keep my fingers crossed!! I love his extra thumb, its kind of like Brooklyn's hemangioma, if something has to go wrong with all the things out there I prefer some little thing! It is to cute! Take care & get some rest! give him a hug & little kiss from us!

Alisa said...

Amberlee - Congrats on a darling little blessing! He is adorable. My youngest sister was born with 12 fingers - on extra on each hand. They were both hanging on the side of her hands and had fingernails, etc. She is now 20 years old and we still talk about her 'special spots' as my parents called them. If you hold her hand, you can feel where they were on the side of her hand. Weird!

Unknown said...

He is DARLING!! Way to go Amberlee! I'm so happy for you!

Heidi said...

You didn't mention his thumb on the phone! It'll be an easy fix(hopefully) ..take it from a mom that has a son that's had 4 or 5 surgeries on his appendages. Best of luck!! Love you guys!

Tamara Jacobs said...

congratulations!!! he is so cute. i love his name!!

Brianne & Jarod said...

Congrats Amberlee..what a cute little man cub :) I am so glad that he is here, and LOVE that he will be able to tell the story of his 6th finger...The picture is amazing. Little babies are so precious...(Jake is already so big..) He is lucky to be part of such a GREAT family!!

Melissa Moss said...

He's adorable! Congratulations!