Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Cake and a Campout

A Cake
Halloween has always been my least favorite holiday, Fall is my favorite season by far- but I don't like the holiday that comes with it. I decided to make the most of it this year- and try and have a good attitude for my kids as well as start some fun traditions. I've made a list of things to do and to start out the kids and we went to the store and they picked out what Halloween candy they wanted as well as a cake and frosting. We were going to make an orange cake and decorate it- simple- but to little kids they were so excited. We then went to the movie store and rented a couple Halloween cartoons to watch while the cake was baking and cooling.
Now I had already decided that I was going to control myself and let the kids do what THEY wanted as far as the decorating went. I admit that in the past when my kids have done projects I have tried to "sway" them in the direction that I think they should do things-(a mean mom)- but not anymore.
The kids had a blast and they were SO proud of the way the cake turned out.










A Camp out
From the first few weeks of living in our house, Samantha and Mike have talked about having a camp out in our backyard. Well, because of our time in Utah and then Mike's hectic schedule this past month- our warm weather has gone. (plus if you ask me- I, for sure wasn't interested in having a visit from the groundhog, the squirrels, or the skunks that frequent our yard- and yes I know if we were camping in the mountains we would have the same visitors- but it just seems different when it's in your own yard)

So we decided that we would just set up the tent in our living room and make the most of it! Well the tent quickly turned into air mattresses instead.-either way the kids were happy because they got to sleep in the front room with mom and dad. Of course a night at the Taylors house would not be complete without a little Star Wars.
We all slept well- except for Mike- so all in all it was a great night-possibly to be repeated?!




6 comments:

Joan said...

I love it, what a cute idea. Thanks for the e-mail!

Jena said...

I want some cake. Tell those cuties their cake is amazing. Lucky kids! Their "camp in" looks like a blast.

Brian's mom and sisters are here until Thursday...Do you want to try for Saturday? I'll call you.

SummerV said...

Very fun! It is all those little things that you know they will remember as the BEST memories when they are older. You are such a cute mom!

Brianne & Jarod said...

I really like the cake idea, although I am afraid Ike would like off all the frosting before adding any candy :) I think it is great that you are trying to get in the spirit of Halloween..for some crazy reason it is one of my favorite holidays. (not so much the "scary" part of it...)

Our Little Family said...

How fun, I have been letting Addi help me when I make treats lately and she LOVES it. I forgot how fun it is to do those simple things when you are a kid. The campout looks fun too, such an Amberlee and Samantha campout :)

Tasha said...

What some FUN ideas! Your kids are so lucky & I love their Halloween cake! Happy Halloween!