Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's a cliche but: we survived!

3 quarters down...4 to go! After another blurry finals week I walked into a wonderful reception from my family. Amberlee, Samantha and Collin had made a banner and bought a balloon and candy to celebrate our victory. I think they're just excited that they get me for more than a week this time, much more. Amberlee said that during my first quarter finals week it felt like she barely saw me and now it seems like I'm around more. I have to disagree...I think she's just used to not seeing me much. I really do need to brag about her for a minute though. She has become more supportive the farther we get into medical school. I'm sure she still misses me but during finals she is always okay (or rather she doesn't complain) about me not coming home for dinner or helping get the kids in bed or coming home after they're in bed and leaving before they get up. On top of that she's become super independent taking both kids shopping (which is a massive feat of strength given Samantha's attention span and Collin's waist line), going to the library, attempting to keep the house clean, etc. She's been just what I need through this process and slowly we're all learning to be a doctor's family. After all of that I can't be mean enough to make them all stay here for the summer. I think we'll leave whenever Amberlee wants. I love you Amberlee. You too Samantha and Collin.

Amberlee's addition:

I can't even begin to express how wonderful it has been to have our first year of medical school complete! This is something that we prayed for and wanted so badly for so long- and now that we are in the middle of it - it's so hard to believe. I am so proud of all of Mike's hard work. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to always be in class or studying. I know he would much rather be at home with us- and I know that it is often hard to walk out that door - as Collin is quickly on his heels- and Samantha is asking why he has to go back to school- but he does it. And I am grateful that he does it. I know without a doubt that we are the most important thing in his life but- this is his time to get the most out of school- not only because we are paying $40,000/year but more importantly because he wants to be the best doctor that he can be. I love him and I am so grateful for the way that he has balanced everything. It hasn't been easy.

I am beyond thrilled that we get to go and visit family and be near all our loved ones for the summer. Samantha and Collin are thrilled to have their dad around all the time. On Friday- from the moment Mike walked in- Samantha barely took a breath- she was all over the place! You'd think she was the one done with school! I hate to say this but I am already dreading July 28th!But know we will for sure make the most of this time that we have together!!!

13 comments:

Bree said...

Awww... I knew that there would be a dad is done post, you are too cute and crafty not to make a big deal out of that wonderful day! We sure are excited to see everyone, having a husband again is the best isn't it! Have fun on your adventures to Utah. Oh and Mike you are so lucky hopefully one day I will be half the wife and mother you have, she's a trooper.

kristi and family said...

Congrats Mike and Amberlee..... Let's hang out with all of our crazy kids when you come back to the land of ZION... see ya

kristi and family said...

amberlee.... sorry it's me again... where did you get your blog layout?? AND, did you have to save everything so it wasn't lost?? I need HELP!!! Thanks... will you email me or post a comment on mine?? thanks

SummerV said...

Congratulations guys! It is a huge accomplishment and we are so excited for you! We also can't wait to get to Utah and see family before...more school.

Sara said...

Have fun this summer! :) You have such a cute family

Amy Jenks said...

Cute Blog! I love the slideshow at the top how it shows each of your kids growing up. Yeah...we all made it! :) Isn't it great?

Mindy said...

Congrats to you both. That is a huge accomplishment. It will all be worth is someday. Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll see you soon.

Josie said...

Yeah! I'm so happy for you guys. I have no doubt that you'll make the very most out of these next few months. Can't wait to get together and let the kids play. Not too much longer! Congrats to Mike:)

Heidi said...

Great job! Does he know what kind of DR he wants to be yet? I'm excited to see you guys when you're in UT! You're one tough momma and wife Berlee.. I don't think I could be a DR's wife (during the schooling part anyway). Love you guys!

Angela and Dave said...

You guys are so cute and in love! I can't wait to see all of you! What are your plans for the August wedding? I think we'll be skipping the June/July visit now for the August one.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Hi Amberlee,

I hope you don't mind me leaving you a lil' message. I saw your name on Josie's blog and thought I would check out what you have been up to. Your kids are ADROABLE! Congrats to your husband for finishing his first year..that is a BIG DEAL! We had lots of friends in medical school in North Carolina and know how much hard work it is :) I just thought I would let you know that I really looked up to you as a teenager, and still think you are an amazing woman! It was fun growing up with brothers, but I sure cherished the times when "the girls" would come over so that I had some type of "sisterly" influence. My brother was very lucky to have such AWESOME friends!! Have a great day!

Brianne Wallace

Marianne said...

Congrats! That's means to celebrate with a serious banner or something! Oh wait - you already did that. I always knew you had the personality to support a great man through school!

Marianne said...

Wow! You don't have to blog like everyday! Kidding - Collin is so cute! Hope you're doing well.
So, you know how once a year I get the itch to actually have a professional do my hair?....I've got the itch. Since you're not here - where would you go it you wanted an excellent cut and color? My mother-in-law told me about some guy names "Tuan" at the gateway, but I don't know that I need to pay a fortune. Any ideas?