Thursday, January 12, 2012

Christmas


 This year we had decided that we were going to stay in St. Louis. There was no way we could afford to fly and driving in the winter is always risky- especially if it's a 20 hr drive. Mike really lucked out and got the week of Christmas off as part of his 3 weeks of vacation. We know that this will NOT be the case for the last 3 years of his residency. One day Mike threw out the idea of driving home for Christmas. BIG mistake- because from that point on all I could think about was the possibility of being with our families for Christmas. We decided to wait and see what the weather was going to be and then we'd make the final decision. At last the final decision was made-- we were going to do it. Like I said before-- in the next few years we'll be lucky if Mike has those days off, let alone the whole week-- so why not take advantage of the blessing it was to have that time off and just do it!
We were incredibly blessed to have great weather (only a few little spots of concern) and our kids are traveling rockstars- ZERO complaints or whining during the whole 20 hrs. They were just so dang excited to see their grandparents and aunts and uncles- which made the miserable drive worth it for both Mike and I.
We loved being with our loved ones, and we feel like although we were only there for 6 days and drove roughly 40 hours round trip, it was WORTH IT.

Just like so many other times, I did horrible with our camera(Especially in Centerville-- where I completely forgot to bring it). Thank goodness for camera phones and grandparents stepping in and taking the pictures.-

Decorating cookies for Santa 
(and ourselves-I may have a minor weakness for my moms sugarcookies)






Christmas Eve
We had my Grandparents (my moms parents) and Uncle Paul, Aunt Marianne, Alix and Sarah over for dinner and visiting. Later on we had my moms spiritual message and sat around and talked WAY too late.


We are missing 4 very important Floridian faces in this picture! (Jonathan, Bree Addison and Halle---My brother Jonathan and his family were in the middle of moving to Orlando(luckies)--Jonathan got an incredible job-so as much as we missed them--we are SO happy for them)
My grandparents, Mom and Uncle Paul (her only living sibling)

Christmas Morning
Christmas morning is always a little chaotic- I never got a shot of all the kids--oh well!

My parents got a steal of a deal on this little red car-- which the kids loved.





 In the background of  few of the pictures you can see the felt house that I made for the kids. It took too many hours to count- but they love it- which made it worth it(barely). I did it in the colors of our house in Dublin, that little house will ALWAYS hold a special place in all of our hearts.


 Christmas Day
As I mentioned before, I left my camera in South Jordan, so I didn't get ANY pictures of Christmas Day :(
We started the day off a little rocky-- our van's battery died-- so it took awhile to get it going again. We met Mike's family at church a little late-- but atleast we made it! It was the perfect way to spend Christmas Day. We played games, napped, talked, and had a delicious turkey dinner.

Luckily Mike snapped a few pictures with his phone of the kids bowling on the day after Christmas.











A few other memories that weren't documented on film:
-Playing with cousins and favorite uncles and aunts
-Shopping with Mom and sisters (LOVED that day)
-Mike went shooting with his dad and Stephen
-Seeing our grandparents and extended families



 After the whirlwind of Holiday parties and family time and ALL the driving, we felt a little like this in the end:

Exhausted-- (BUT very happy)

5 comments:

Bree said...

I saw that family picture and told Jonathan not to look at the computer or he would be sad. That is such a cute picture, how is it a random no effort picture minus one family is the best one ever taken. I seriously think it is darling everyone is looking but Max, even though Owen has his hands up you can see his face. Seeing you all together makes it really weird we weren't there, it wasn't as bad this year with out skype. I think seeing everyone makes it harder not easier. I love the picture of Owen, what a week!

Jena said...

How wonderful that you got to go to UT! I'll the spontaneity. My parents decided to fly me and the kids out for 3 weeks in Feb. Brian has nights that whole month. It is going to be nice to be with family while he lives at the hospital! I'm glad you had so much fun. We need to chat sometime. I need Amberlee time. Miss you!

chapstick said...

Way fun to have our St. Louis family here! After being so disappointed that you guys and Jonathan and Bree wouldn't be coming we were thrilled you got to come. Christmas morning was sooooo much more fun seeing these three excited cute faces. then you add in girls day out, birthdays etc, it was a blast! Here's to all Christmases with EVERYBODY home!! Hugs to my three sweet Missourians!

Natalie said...

HOW AWESOME!! I am so glad you guys went for it! There is nothing like spending the holidays with family. My only question is: when are we going to get together?

Tasha said...

So glad that you guys had such a great time in UT! I love the boys driving in that little car...it won't be long & that will be for real before we know it! What a cute picture of Owen! I can see you made good use of your time!