Sunday, November 6, 2011

TA- DA.

 Well, I did it. I ran in an actual race. A 10k-- 6.2 miles. I made a goal and stuck to it-- thanks in large part to my wonderful running partner and friend Syleisa. When I first set this goal-- I really wanted to gain a love of running. Sadly, that love never came. Sure it's an awesome workout-- but I just got bored. Oh well--I did it. I won't be doing a longer race any time soon---if ever.
Our race took place in a small little town about 25 min. away in Illinois. 
Race day didn't go exactly as I hoped it would. I really wanted to improve my pace, but I didn't, I pretty much stayed the same-- if not coming in a little slower. 2 days before, I got pretty sick-- not ideal for running 6.2 miles. Plus the morning of the run it was 40 degrees and foggy-- so the cold air wasn't the best for my lungs. But what can you do? 
(It's been a hard past few days--- Missing my dad a bit more than usual. Running in the fog brought up a memory.  I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. It was in the winter and the fog was super thick that night. My dad typically took the bus to and from work. He was really late getting home---due to the fog. I remember watching for him and waiting. At one point I ran out to the street to see if I could see him-- as I waited- all the sudden I could see a man walking down the street--as he got closer I could tell that it was my dad- in his trench coat-- wearing his Elmer fudd shoes (these boot thingys that covered his dress shoes to protect them from the snow) and I remember running to him-- so happy to see him. Makes me think our next reunion and how much sweeter that one will be.)
 I was SO happy to see my sweet family cheering me on-- by that point it was SO what I needed. Syleisa rocked it at the race-- totally reaching her goal-- she was kind enough to come back and meet me and run with me to the end. Love her.
Me, Syleisa and Ali 
(Ali is another awesome friend from the ward--her husband is in Mike's program.)She didn't train with us but she came with us on race day.
Mike was so sweet to pack up the kids and bring them to see me finish. I'm so blessed.
TA-DA!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! You are awesome for doing this and I don't blame you for not wanting to do another one... anytime soon that is... because I feel the same way about running. p.s. THANKS for inviting me to see your blog!!

Jena said...

Way to Go! I'm very impressed. Especially since you don't even like running! That makes it ten times more impressive. For real. I really miss you. I wish I could take your kids so you could just do whatever. I'm sorry you are missing your dad so much. That reunion will be incredible!

Tasha said...

WAY TO GO!!! I'm so proud of you! What a goal what an accomplishment! I love your family pictures so cute! Collin is hilarious & TJ has the same shirt as Owen! I love the Halloween oictures too! I'm sorry that things have been hard lately with missing your dad, but just think how lucky you are to have your dad on the other side pulling for you & helping you & your family eveyday :) Love You!

Tiffany said...

What an awesome accomplishment! I am proud of you! (Coming from a non-runner!) :)

josh and stef said...

You are AWESOME!! I try to love running also, but am totally bored too. Way to go!!

SummerV said...

Great job! Doesn't matter how fast you did it, you finished! So proud of you! That story about your Dad made me cry, very sweet memory.

Natalie said...

You are so awesome! I had to get on your blog and catch-up. Again, you are so awesome!

chapstick said...

I'm a little late, well a lot late because I talk to you all the time. But I wanted to add my CONGRATS! for sticking with it even when your worry wart mother tried to give you an out because you were sick! (shocker I know). Thank you for sharing your memory of your Dad. I had never heard that before. I can remember those days of loading you all up in the car to get him from the bus. There were a lot of cold, snowy, foggy days. I love hearing you kids memories that I didn't know even though they make me cry :)! Love you B

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

you are awesome!!! i am so proud of you! any exercise goal that is reached should be celebrated! wish i could run with you!

Josie said...

I never get tired of hearing memories about your dad. They are so touching. And so proud of you for your run...you did it!!!

The Thorntons said...

Love you so much! We will run again- yes we will.