Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"When someone you love...




.....becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure."
Last year my mom made a "Getting to know Grandpa Stevens" book for each family. I scanned in a page (which didn't work too great). SO glad that my mom did this. Samantha still comes up and wants to read it together. I wonder if there will ever be a day when I don't cry when I read it. 
 I really dislike today. But what can ya do-- it comes every year regardless. This time of year just has such painful memories associated with it. It's been 16 years - I wonder if it will be any different as more time goes by.? 
My sweet sister in law, Bree came up with an idea for their family that I just might steal. Instead of focusing on the day of my dad's death, they are going to celebrate him on his birthday. This year she made a cake and then Jonathan shared some memories with his girls. love it.going to copy it.





5 comments:

chapstick said...

I hear you Amberlee. I try to act normal on this day, but inside my heart is hurting. I am glad you all keep his wonderful memory alive. We need to all remember how we need to be to be with him again. He would want us all to remember him with a smile. :) Thanks again to Bree for the sweet idea.

Cassie said...

Kinda makes me sad to think that I am on the same level as the grand kids when it comes to knowing him and the kind of man he was. Thanks again mom for the book. I think about him everyday and get excited to see him again and to get to know him.

Bree said...

Thanks Amberlee, I thought it was a fun idea for my kids and would help Jonathan. He said he thought about him and got sad on his way to work but after that he wasn't as sad this year and I think it was because we started the week (9days) on a good note and he kinda got all those emotions out and was happy yesterday. At the end of the day I said did you call your mom today? He was like no why? I said you always call your mom today, he said he had been so happy he almost forgot. He usually calls to morn with her and I don't think he felt that as strongly. Anyway sorry for the rambling, I am actually more excited for this tradition in the future cause as the kids get older and "get it" I know it will be a day they will look forward to every year. I know Jonathan will remember more and more stories and things as time goes on that I am excited to hear and see our kids learn about him. DO IT! You will love it! I'm sorry it is a hard time of year, love ya!

Bree said...

Oh my you are so silly like I would care if you do it to, I would love that. Plus I honestly thought to myself I bet Amberlee will start this too when I thought of it! Cause we are both tender hearts and lets be honest he was your dad! ha ha

I hope you are ready to come to Florida! Seriously you need to come down when Mike has a break in the spring or something. We would love it!

SummerV said...

Been thinking about you all week. I read Cassie's comment and was just thinking how young she was when he passed away. What an awful day that was and incredibly difficult to watch you the years leading up to it. I can't even imagine. I am terrified as an adult to lose a parent although I know it will come eventually. What a blessing that you are so close to the savior and such an incredible person that you have the eternal perspective..otherwise I would imagine it would be unbearable and yet I am sure sometimes it feels like it is. I sure love you! And admire you for who you are and how you handle things.