Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Addiction.....

I admit it. I will no longer deny it. I have an addiction to projects. I just really enjoy working with my hands and seeing the final result.

When I was pregnant with Owen, I took on too many projects- too many late nights, but there were so many things that I wanted to do. I sewed his car seat blanket and car seat canopy, made burp cloths and made a couple receiving blankets etc. But my top 3 favorite were the diaper bag, quilt and family necklace.
The diaper bag was one of those projects where you have a love/hate relationship. I love Petunia Picklebottom diaper bags- the ones which can be a backpack or shoulder bag (Bree- although I gave you a hard time for spending $100+ on your diaper bag- you changed my mind and I wanted one too!) but alas the price is WAY out of our medical school budget. SO I thought- huh... I'll just make one myself and spend maybe $30 instead of the $170 they normally run. I didn't have a pattern- I just made it up as I went along. I admit there were tears shed as I couldn't find the right stuff to make the bag not too stiff- but stiff enough to have the support I wanted- and times where if I was a swearing gal- I would have cussed. But over all - it was a fun experience. It is FAR from perfect- and not as great as the actual Petunia Picklebottom bag- BUT it does hold diapers and that's all I need!







The quilt was fun. I HATE cutting out of the fabric- but I love seeing it all come together. One of my BFF's :) Heidi quilted it for me and did a great job.

oops..I forgot to flip the picture.




On etsy I've seen these necklaces, and I loved them- but didn't want to pay what they were asking. I found some stamps at Harbor Freight for $4.99- and decided to do it myself!
Sure, just like the diaper bag- it doesn't look as good as the ones I've seen- but I love it anyways

It has our anniversary and the initial and birthstone for Mike and the kids. They are my EVERYTHING.
I already have a new list of projects. I sure don't have as much free time at nights- but I'll take what I can get!

12 comments:

Jill said...

Geez Amberlee what can't you do! All your projects look GREAT! I love the necklace! I've seen those and think they are precious!
Nice job!

Jena said...

The bag turned out amazing! Everything looks so good. I think that it is better than the "real" thing. Why is it that projects are so much fun? I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Keep it comin'!

DeGooyer Family said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! I am in love with that bag!!! You are extremely talented!! =)

SummerV said...

such cute projects! I may have to hire you to make me a diaper bag if I ever buckle down and decide to have another kiddo.
You are so crafty and I think they are all every bit as cute as the "professional" projects.

The Wilkins' said...

You are amazing Amberlee! That bag is adorable! I need to get into project mode. I would like to make a carseat canopy... did you have a pattern? I want to see pics!

Tasha said...

your bag looks amazing!! You did a great job on all of it! I love the pics of Owen at one month & sure like that cute outfit haha! I'm so glad all is going well & i agree with less time to project, but I too will tkae what I get!

sly said...

I am finally home and able to see your adorable Owen. I am excited for your amazing family. I feel so lucky to know you through Jena!! I can hardly wait until everyone is in Utah together-hint-hint!! Your family looks so happy with your new addition!!! WOW--you are incredible!! How did you do that diaper bag without a pattern? It looks professional and perfect! I love the quilt. You have such an eye for things and they turn out fabulous!! You have got to show all your projects cause they are inspiring. Love the necklace. I can't believe you did that. Love the idea of the dates and birthstones. Can't wait to see Owen in person. Any trips to Utah this summer?

tiff said...

Your amazing!!!! I love all your stuff! I just bought 2 necklaces off etsy that are stamped. I love them so dang cute! I can't wait till you come and visit. Think up some projects for us....maybe the necklace(-: We'll have a craft night. I can't wait to see your baby how are you feeling?! 3 is a lot but your so crazy might as well add a few more!

Bree said...

I wish you could rub some talent off on me... I can't handle doing stuff myself casue I get ticked and always hate the final product. I wish so bad I was more crafty... Love the bag way to go..

P.S. I only paid 140-150 (can't remember exactly) cause I had a few ten dollar off punch cards;) wink wink. I know what a deal right?! If I remember correctly when we discussed my pricey diaper bag you were buying a 80 dollar soccer ball... Maybe I will go make a cheep soccer ball :)

Plus I was working :) (That deserves another smiley face) and I don't regret it one ounce :) (and another smiley face)

Really though I wish you lived by me so you could help me, assuming you would want to help me!

Kaydee and the boys said...

Oh man, those are some sweet projects!!

FYI - www.undercovers.com is having a promotion where you can get a $45 gift set for only $5!! You enter the word "Valentine" - I just ordered one for me. Anyway, thought you might like a good deal...

Megan said...

Those are amazing! I love it all, the bag looks so fab, darling quilt and such an adorable necklace! My birthday is in May, you can pick from the three what you want to make for me :)

Good work!

Tiffany said...

Amberlee- I'm impressed as always! Loved all your projects! They all turned out so good!