Tuesday, September 9, 2008

FIRST DAY OF PRE-SCHOOL!

Today was a big day for Samantha and I- it was her first day of pre-school! She has been waiting forever for this day to arrive. Two weeks ago they had an open house so that the kids could come and meet their teachers and see where their classrooms were- Samantha was most concerned about where her locker was going to be! (they do have a cubbie where their coats and backpacks will go) On the way home from the open house- she says to me-"Mom I am SO excited to go to school- and you're going to cry"- and she was right! She woke up on cloud nine this morning- and when the bus pulled up she "whoo-whooed" all the way outside. I tried to tell her goodbye- and tell her that I loved her- but she was so not interested- she just wanted to find her seat! - oh side note- as I was getting her stuff together in her backpack- she tells me to wait and she runs in her room- comes back and puts her cell phone in the backpack- I tell her that she can't take it to school with her- and she goes "oh don't worry mom- I'll just hide it from them-I'll just take it outside to talk"
should we be worried?!

So the house was super quiet-and I only cried for a minute or two-I think I went through all the emotions that moms go through as they send their kids off to school. I think the thing that hit me the most was that I don't feel like she or I for that matter should be old enough to do this. Where did the time go? Last night Mike gave Samantha a fathers blessing (something that both of our fathers did for us each school year)- and I think that Heavenly Father gave me a little strength as well to pull myself together today because I tend to be a bit emotional. I do have to admit that it was nice watching the news and not Sid the Science Kid- and once Collin was down for his morning nap- wow- it was so nice!

Before school:
It wouldn't be a picture of Samantha if there wasn't some sass



On our way to the bus:

Growing up my mom had a tradition of having a treat or surprise waiting for us on our first day of school. I loved it- so I want to start that same tradition with our kids. My mom sent her the new Little Mermaid dvd- and I got her a PEZ and coloring book and made her a bracelet.


....and coming home
Rough first day?
(In the background is her friend Brooklyn and the bus driver- Miss Ginger)


From the words of Samantha- "It was GREAT!"

11 comments:

SummerV said...

You made it! She looked so cute for her first day. I love the cell phone comment, what a cutie. I haven't gotten Ken into anything..I can't believe she rode the bus and everything..wow! What a big girl and what a brave mom. I like the idea of a little suprise when they get home, and of course a fathers blessing. It's nice to know at her age that she already recieves blessings from the priesthood and is somewhat aware of it.

Bree said...

How fun,sad,exciting,and relaxing for you. She looks so dang cute, I love her face in the 2nd picture. What a little sassy pants! I love how she is getting off the bus and her hair is all over, looks like it was a "great day".


P.S. I hope she doesn't realize she rides the short bus!!! HA HA HA

Tiffany said...

I love that tradition! I'll have to remember that!

josh and stef said...

Kylie also started school. I'm down to one kid at home. It sure is nice!! It gets easier the more you send to school.

Mindy said...

What a big day for you guys. All your post for the past few months are darling. I love the family pictures and the dancing Collin. How sweet is that? I love the cel phone comment. How cute... is she going on 16 or 17? Gotta love girls.

Kaydee and the boys said...

Hey!! It's me, your long-lost neighbor Kaydee! Haylie told me where I might find you and I did! :) Your kids are absolutely adorable! I miss your whole dang family and hope you're all doing well, it looks like you are...

Unknown said...

amberlee! i found your comment on kaydee's blog! i thought i would say hello! your kids are so gorgeous. i obviously don't know your husband's family but i must say that i see so much of the stevens family in them.

i see ryan and kat pretty often and i always ask them about you. i hope to stay in touch with you more, you've always been a sweet friend!

Erin said...

My kids would have died to ride the bus!! Can you believe how fast they grow?

The cell phone comment made me laugh out loud. What a cutie! So sassy...we have one of those! ;)

Brianne & Jarod said...

Super cute tradition! I think that I might steal that one from you :)Glad you made it through her first day! Isn't it cute to see how excited they get?

Saysha said...

Yay for Samantha! I'm glad her and Brooklyn ride the same bus, do they have the same teacher? How have you liked it so far? Ahhh...I miss those days. Pretty soon it'll be kindergarten, and then she'll think she's 25 and knows EVERYTHING! Miss you guys, Samantha is a gorgeous little thing!

kristi and family said...

i love your family tradition... i might have to steal that idea...