Sunday, July 3, 2011

Doesn't Matter the Age

I've come to realize that it doesn't matter how old I become, I will always cry when I have to say goodbye to my mom. Goodbyes are NEVER easy-- and they don't get any easier. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm not only saying goodbye to my mom--but I am also saying goodbye to one of my best friends.
I took my parents to the airport earlier today. They drove the kids and I out here a week ago and stayed to help us get settled. Mike flew out here 2 weeks ago to begin orientation. Let's just say that the list of debts that we owe to them has gotten increasingly longer this past week. My dad worked his tail off making and installing closet shelves in all bedroom closets, figuring out what was wrong with our kitchen sink, hanging my huge (beautiful)pain in the rear mirror, making it so our electric dryer worked in a place wired for a gas dryer, made me a picture frame and did many other little small things that my mom or I needed help with. My mom spent her time helping me unpack, clean, organize, entertain the kids and DECORATE! I actually have things on my wall BEFORE we've been in the home for 6 months. She also sensed when I needed the "Just remember that you didn't necessarily want to move to Ohio and you absolutely loved it there" pep talks.
We are SO grateful for the sacrifice it was for them to come out for the week (especially since my dad leaves again on Tuesday to drive out to California to fix up his mom's house) We are so blessed to have such loving and supportive parents on both sides- parents who continually give and give and give. Thank you

7 comments:

Amberlee said...

You are making me cry. :) We do that out of love for you so it is our pleasure. Well, the work may not be fun but the doing it for you and being with you is fun! But let's make a deal, (Mike are you listening?) So we don't have to keep having these tearful goodbyes, let's not do this again. Let's move you here next time!!! I'll even get the house ready for you BEFORE you get here (promise!) Thank you for your kind words Amberlee. AS you know it is what comes naturally to a mom to be a help and support to your kids. I predict that you will come to love Missouri (never the humidity) and will have wonderful memories and friends to add to your life. And I will even come back multiple times even if you do work me to death again.! HA!

chapstick said...

Well my computer was still logged in as you so it published my comment as you. It really is me. DUH!

Jena said...

Parents are the best! Mine are here for 3 more days. I don't know what I am going to do without them. This just seems so much more "permanent" than before...so sad. I plead with you to blog some pictures of your home! I know it gorgeous.

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight said...

My family just left this morning so I totally feel your pain. It's weird. You feel so independent and on top of things and then family comes to town and you start relying on them and then when it's time to say goodbye you realize that you gotta be big again and not have your mom and dad there! I am a basketcase every time! It's crazy! I am glad that they helped you guys so much! That is a lot to do on your own! Hopefully your house is feeling more like home with some of your decorations up! You guys are going to do so great out there... You will meet great friends and I am sure your ward will be great too! And just when you start feeling like you never want to leave again- you do it all over! ha ha Story of my life too for the next 7 years! One day we will be established and not have to worry about moving ever again if we don't want to! ha ha Miss ya!

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

Hey girl! CONGRATULATIONS for being somewhat moved in already! I am so happy for you, and so glad your parents were able to lend you a hand! I was so grateful my mom helped me move to Ohio and only wish she had more time to help. hehe. It's hard when they leave, just remember how much they must love you. I really really miss you here! I plan to stay in touch forever, so keep the updates coming! :)

ps- I probably should have clarified... Water for Elephants was so pretty and I really enjoyed it (hopefully thats ok!?) there were a couple "parts" that I could have done without, its kind of one of those iffy movies, that i didn't feel bad about seeing, but didn't agree with every little detail. so i'm not sure how the book would be. you'll have to let me know if you read it.

Natalie said...

I cry EVERYTIME anyone from my family leaves.... still! I teared-up just reading about your mom leaving...... We are here and ready to play when you are!

Amy Jenks said...

I know you aren't alone in crying when your mom leaves - heaven knows I did last week! Parents are the greatest. i'm so glad yours were able to help so much. I'm also glad you are getting settled. You'll have to fill me in on what happened with the house. Did you end up getting the one that didn't appraise at first or did you go with a different one?
You will love St. Louis. I miss it terribly! There is so much to do and most of it is completely free. (Even parking, but you have to know the right parking lot and entrance...maps will only take you to the paid paring lots which are just as close as the free lots.) I wish I was still there...