Monday, July 26, 2010

Taken for granted...

Something small happened Friday night/Saturday morning and I feel silly even writing about it but it helped to remind me of how truly blessed Mike and I are to have healthy, happy kids. I want to write it down so that when I have days that I need to have a swift kick to the rear, I'll have this to remind me of how much I have to be grateful for.
We have all 3 kids in a room together. It really hasn't been too rough, especially because Owen sleeps through the night. But there are times when we have to make little adjustments. Usually an adjustment happens when Collin is awake and Owen needs to go down (Collin is WAY too tempted to "play" with Owen) so we just put Owen on our bed. We lay him side-ways at the very top (I know, not the safest thing), and up until now there hasn't been an issue. I was asleep on the couch when Mike woke me up to let me know that Owen was awake and crying and that maybe he was hungry. I followed Mike into the room and we found Owen on his back on the floor. Of course the little guy was super upset. I tried to nurse him to see if that would help, nope. Mike stayed up with Owen until 3 AM and even then he was really restless and would cry out. Finally at 6 AM I took him out and tried to rock him but he continued to cry, and cry harder if he was in certain positions. At 7 AM I woke up Mike because I was worried about him, it is so unlike Owen to act that way. We waited until 8 AM and saw no change, so I took him to the ER. They checked everything, and visibly they couldn't see anything wrong so the doctor ordered a CT and chest and pelvic x-rays. It was AWFUL to watch as Owen was rolled tightly with his head secured while the CT was happening. I felt helpless. The poor little guy didn't understand, how could he? I wondered how other parents with sick children go through things like this all the time, how they survived? How would I feel if I had a child who went through test after test or who was always in pain?
My sister-in-law, Angela has a friend whose little girl has SMA. As I have read her blog- recently and in the past, I've literally just sat and bawled my eyes out. I can't even begin imagine. The family is so strong and such amazing examples.
The results of the CT and X-ray came back clear. All I have to do is follow up with his pediatrician. Walking away from the hospital 2 hours later with a chubby, healthy little boy made me realize how much I take for granted.

4 comments:

Sara said...

oh i know how scary it can be to find the baby on the floor ... simon has fallen off our bed more than once!! so sad :(
i'm so glad that owen checked out ok, bless his heart (and yours!)

Tasha said...

I'm so glad that everything was okay! I agree it would be so hard to have a child with a health problem & have to watch them go through lots of testing!!

Kaydee and the boys said...

You couldn't be more right. It's so nice to have healthy little babies. It's so strange to experience all we did with Ethan, and then Dallin comes - completely opposite experience.

Tamara Jacobs said...

i'm so glad that cute owen was okay.
thant's so scary.
thanks for the reminder not to take our healthy children for granted.
love, tam